Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 17, 2007   #1
darlochileman
Tomatovillian™

Default Chilli Plant/Tomato Plant Cross?

Hi Guys,

Ive grown hundreds of different varieties of Chilli plants over the years but Ive never come across anything as weird as some plants I grown out this year.

The seed was taken from a Jamacian Red Hot plant (a Chinense) which grew in the middle of my Tomato plants last year. Although Tomato & Chillis are from the same botanical family (Solanaceae or nightshade family) Ive never heard of them crossing before.

The plants do however share some of the charactertics of the parent plants having 'Tomato like' leaves but 'chilli plant like' flowers & pods. All very weird. I have 4 plants all of which are growing like wild fire and are loaded with pods. Here are some pictures:

The Plant (some specimens are nearly 3ft high)

The Flowers (note chinense like multiple nodes but white flowers - tomato plants normally have yellow flowers)

The pods (these are tepin size small spherical pods some of which are starting to ripen to black!)

Has anyone else ever seen/heard of anything like this?

Mark
Old July 17, 2007   #2
johno
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting. Please keep us posted on the progress.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #3
veratrine
Tomatovillian™

Default that IS weird looking

I don't know that I'd eat that. Have a look at some pics of black nightshade and see if it looks like what you have.
veratrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #4
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by veratrine View Post
I don't know that I'd eat that.
I was thinking the same thing. Just because the pepper grew in the middle of your tomato plants doesn't necessarily mean that that's what it got crossed with.

Look around and you'll likely see lots of solanaceous weeds and ornamental plants, some of them poisonous. All it takes is a bee to visit one of them first and there's your wide cross with the pepper.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'd make sure your life insurance is paid up.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #6
orflo
Tomatovillian™

It's a strange weird plant, the berries do look like the black nightshade (I grow a non-poisonous, sweet variety of it:susse schwarzbeere, comes from Germany), but the flowers look like solanum phureja or solanum andigena, and the leaves look like a cross between jaltomato and the black nightshade, did you ever grow solanum burbankii?Normally pepers will never cross outside the capsicum family, could there have been some weed seeds in the sowing soil?
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #7
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have all sorts of solanums growing wild on our yard, garden and flower beds. I have seen such flowers, berries and leaves, but not exactly all of them same in one plant as in the picture. Still I think that this is one of the wild solanum species and not a chiltomato.

I grew couple of years ago a similar looking plant called Garden Huckleberry, but I did not like the taste and since they looked so much like the wild ones growing as weeds in the garden, I decided not to eat them since I could not be sure, which of the berries could be poisonous.
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote