Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old November 28, 2011   #1
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting potato seed in Texas - uncertain about when to plant

As a bonus, unasked-for packet of seed in an online trade a while ago, I got something labeled as just "purple potato" containing what must be True Potato Seeds. Might as well give them a try. I've been looking up all sorts of info on starting TPS, but mostly what I've been finding is "start them just like tomato seeds." Does that mean I should be starting the seeds indoors at the same time as tomatoes, and planting them out at the same time as tomatoes?

The thing that's throwing me off is that here in Texas, potatoes (from tubers) and tomatoes are not grown at the same time, so I'm wondering if that advice comes from people in cooler climates than me and would be growing tomatoes and potatoes at about the same time.

Here, potatoes are considered cool-weather crops. They're planted before the last frost date, because they need time to be harvested around May. Tomatoes are warm-weather crops and planted AFTER the last frost date, and then grow until they really get fried in August.

So around what time should I start my potato seeds, and around what time should I plant them out, so that they don't get too cold when they're first planted out, but also have time to grow enough before they get baked? Do I really need to wait as long as I do with tomato seedlings, or should I plant them earlier when it's colder, since potatoes like colder weather than tomatoes?
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2011   #2
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I think the reference to "like tomato seeds" is in regards to HOW to grow them, not WHEN to grow them. I would guess you need to give yourself 8 to 12 weeks to get your seedlings going before you put them out, so calculate back from when you think planting time should be.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2011   #3
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

That means I should be starting them... NOW!

Which is why I posted this question to begin with. It's almost tomato-seed starting time, so if potato seeds need to be planted before tomatoes, they'd better get going soon.

Does anyone know how cold-tolerant potato seedlings are? Do I have to wait to plant them out until after last frost, or can they be planted earlier than that?
Old December 3, 2011   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I grew potatoes from true potato seed and I start them indoors 6 to 8 weeks before is frost free day. They are cold tolerant more so than tomatoes so when is 45-50F out they stay out. I planted mine out before tomatoes maybe 2 weeks before planting the tomatoes outdoors.
Old December 3, 2011   #5
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Wendy. I already started my potato seeds now, but they aren't coming up yet. If they do, I'll set them out 2 weeks before the tomatoes like you suggest.