Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 18, 2012   #1
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

Default Support for tomatoes in grow bags.

What are some of the better (and economical) ways to support them in grow bags? I have about 50 - 60 plants.
ExpendableZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #2
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I don't have bags but I do have containers. I have built a trellis support out of rebar and metal conduit. I will then add strong twine and clip the plant stem to it as it grows and will add more twine if needed.

Mine are pretty tall since they are over containers so I had to add supports to the sides in an A shape.

I got the idea from a video on you tube and modified it for myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I4lBW_Uf1g

He uses wire but strong twine should be ok or even the trellis string would work.

Also he uses thick threaded conduit. I use the thinwall EMT stuff but went up to 3/4.

That and the rebar are pretty cheap. The rebar comes in 10 foot lengths and you cut it in half and drive it halfway into the ground and then put the 10 foot conduit over it and drive int about a foot or so into the ground and using elbows connect them with a legthwise piece at the top.

IF you don't want it tall or long you can cut the conduit down.

This is my first year trying ti so I hope it works out. Will be a lot easier than messing with cages that get outgrown and I will use the same thing to trellis my cucumbers.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #3
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

Do you plan to do single stem?
Old April 19, 2012   #4
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I have not quite made up my mind on that yet. Still looking around for info on what might be best. Thinking at least two maybe 3 but for sure don't want them to go nuts.

Any ideas?
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #5
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
I have not quite made up my mind on that yet. Still looking around for info on what might be best. Thinking at least two maybe 3 but for sure don't want them to go nuts.

Any ideas?
I tried single stem last year but I had a lot of trouble with sunscald and green shoulders. The only plant that didn't have issues was a cherokee purple I left alone.
Old April 21, 2012   #6
Vinny
Tomatovillian™

I have like 12 tomato plants in smartpots (grow bags). I use traditional round tomato cages and then a 6 foot stake on each side. You can tie both the plant and the cage to the stakes and its very secure. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. I have issues with fungus sometimes on the lower limbs and the inner reaches of the plant because they can get buried under so many over lapping leafs. I might could get by without the cages but I like the added support.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote