Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 30, 2009   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Help if you can!

I'm pretty sure these two plants I pulled out tonight have some kind of "WILT", just dont know which one. Funny thing is part of the bed I pulled these tomaotes from has healthy looking plants, its funny half is affected and half is not. I started to noticed this last year in the same area of this bed. Branches would yellow and then brown from the bottom up. Also the stems would bronze. Any way here is a few shots of the stems cut open, there is some white substance in the stems, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

Put the stems in water. If a milky discharge comes out into
the water, that is a sign of bacterial wilt.
Old June 30, 2009   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

dice- thanks for the response. I put them in water only for a few minutes. I did not see any milky discharge. Maybe I didn't soak them long enough, shoot! there is no doubt that somthing was going with these 2 plants as they were undersized/ stunted with yellowing and bowning.

Damon

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009   #4
liannenc
Tomatovillian™

Damon, What you describe sounds very similar to the problem I'm having with my Carmello plant (my post about this, with pics, is here: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11564). The only difference I see right now is that the cross sections of your plant's stems show more white material than mine did. The branch I dissected, though, was a small lateral branch and I may need to check again on a bigger one to see what that looks like.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to let you know I sympathize and that you're not alone! I did spray with neem this past weekend and will do so again weekly from now on. I'm still seeing some yellowing and dying back so I continue to remove the affected foliage. The plant is beginning to look a little naked, but I'm reluctant to pull it-- it has several fruits set, and so far (knock on wood) they don't show any BER (unlike my Marianna's Peace, which also has a lot of fruit but just about every one has BER). If it begins looking really bad, though, I may have to sacrifice it.

How tall were your plants when you pulled them?

Last edited by liannenc; July 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typos
liannenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009   #5
dice
Tomatovillian™

I have not seen that before and do not know exactly what
it is, but here is one place to browse for possibilities:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...omWiltKey.html

This page has pictures of problems on the outside of stems:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...emsolver/stem/

Wikipedia now has a list of tomato diseases, some I have
not heard of before. They are not described here, so one