Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2006   #1
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Pear?

I have grown to despise this little tomato because it splits, and though the yield is high, we get to eat very little unless we pick them green.

BUT, while at our local apple orchard this weekend, I spied a yellow pear-shaped tomato growing in the owner's garden. They were LOVELY without splits! I picked a handful to bring home for seed-saving (with the owner's permission) and in the process discovered a fellow tomato lover who grows a variety of heirlooms.

Can I hope to get these big, lovely yellow-pears next season? Can this be the result of different gardening techniques, or is it a different variety or a different strain?

Lisa
Old September 12, 2006   #2
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Boy, I hope somebody can answer this for you.

A better-tasting and better-behaving Yellow Pear is just what this world needs. Maybe you've lucked upon it. Maybe you can help provide it in future years!

=gregg=
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Lisa,

And when you asked the person who gave you the fruits exactly what they were as to variety name, possible strain, etc., the answer was????????

There are a couple of strains of Yellow Pear, such as Beam's Yellow Pear for one, but here we're talking about the small yellow pear and it isn't clear to me what size you're talking about.
Old September 12, 2006   #4
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Lisa,

And when you asked the person who gave you the fruits exactly what they were as to variety name, possible strain, etc., the answer was????????

There are a couple of strains of Yellow Pear, such as Beam's Yellow Pear for one, but here we're talking about the small yellow pear and it isn't clear to me what size you're talking about.
He just said "yellow pear", but he did say that a red would occasionally show up. Does that help?

Re: size, they are bigger than the ones I am currently growing. The largest one I harvested from the orchard is 2 and 1/4" from stem to blossom.
Old September 12, 2006   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Isn't there on called "Austin" ?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #6
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I also wanted to add that the color is a bit different from the variety I grow. Mine are very shiny and bright yellow; these from the orchard are dull and opaque looking.

I hope this helps... anyway, I am saving seeds and will grow them out next season. I will call the orchard tomorrow to ask the owner more questions about the source of his seeds. I'll post if I find out anything new and interesting.

Lisa