Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 8, 2012   #1
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Default Genetics of 'Italian Ice' F1

Breeding tomatoes and other plants has always been an interest of mine and this year, for the first time in a decade, I find myself with a yard which might possibly sustain such a hobby as tomato breeding.

I've got 'Indigo Rose' with the nice [Aft/Aft; atv/atv] genetics and I also started 'Italian Ice F1', with the vague designs of producing a lilac-colored tomato in a few years.

I've been reading about the different known tomato fruit color/development genes and trying to make predictions about what genetics 'Italian Ice' (II) has.

The following genes look like they might be responsible for the coloring seen in II, but I haven't found anything online about others working with this variety.

Clear skin:
  • y/y : fruit epidermis lacks pigmentation.
White flesh:
  • pd/pd : ( pigment diluter)
  • nor/nor : (non-ripening) very retarded pigmentation.
  • Cnr/_ : (colorless non-ripening) mature fruits have colorless pericarp.
  • Nr/_ : (never ripe) pigmentation develops slowly, never reaches normal.
Do you, the potentially interested audience, know of any genes I may have missed or useful information about the progeny of 'Italian Ice' selfs or crosses? I would also be interested in any information from crosses with other 'white' tomato varieties.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote