Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 27, 2014   #1
ash7019
Tomatovillian™

Default Help ID some odd scarring on developing fruit

Hi,

Complete newbie has been experimenting by growing a small determinate ("Patio Princess Hybrid") completely indoors under fluorescent light.

After the final (and biggest) tomato of the season came off last month, 3 more blossoms - that had flowered weeks before, but neither fruited nor fallen off - unexpectedly came out of suspended animation and started growing fruit.

Well these tomatoes have a fairly minor scarring-type skin condition that - to me - doesn't quite match the photos of common problems. (Maybe looks like zippering, but not in the expected pattern.)

I'm curious whether some kind tomatovillian can comment, or give me a hint.

In full disclosure of weirdness, after pruning most of the rest of the plant (away from the three tomatoes) last month, a few new stems grew out, from them came a couple of blossoms - which have just now opened up flowers...

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomscarswb.jpg (167.8 KB, 126 views)
ash7019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I don't have an answer for you but I am interested in the answer as well.
Looks oddly similar to keloid scarring in humans.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

It looks very much like insect damage.
Maybe goldfleck damage by flower thrips?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Do you have a cat
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2014   #5
ash7019
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the comments.

Not familiar with thrips, but understand they can be very small and difficult to see. A couple are just starting to blush, so I'll be curious to see if they get gold-flecking as they ripen to red. As far as other insects observed, just an occasional fungus gnat fly-by. And all the leaves look fine.

If not insects, wonder if sitting for a month after being fertilized and before growing visibly, could allow other parts to temporarily stick to the developing fruit for a much reduced and localized version of zippering - but flower anatomy is obscure to me.

Oh...and no kitty to explain it, either.
Old October 11, 2014   #6
ash7019
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Since some seemed interested in the scarring, here's an update with photos.

Could not find any evidence of insects (thrips included). They ripened with no additional scarring and no change in the pre-existing scars (except color/contrast). Tasted fine, with nothing unusual inside.

The brand new fruits (from the unexpected new blossoms on this old determinate plant) grew immediately after pollination, and show no scarring or other skin condition.

Still leaning towards the hypothesis from my last post that a month-long delay between fertilization and visible growth, could allow flower parts to temporarily adhere to the developing fruit, causing scarring analogous to a reduced, localized version of zippering.

Whatever the case, tomatoes sure are interestin'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomC1k.jpg (309.9 KB, 56 views)
Old October 11, 2014   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Great follow-up, thanks for posting

I think your explanation is as good as any. I have seen similar "scarring" on fruit after hand-crossing. I assumed it was because of rough handling during the emasculating process. (nicking the pea-size ovary with tweezers; etc)

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote