View Single Post
Old January 21, 2013   #18
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Farmershawn, you may be right about not being able to plant deeply. That also worries me a little. I usually plant well past the cotyledons, even in containers. My understanding is that the root systems of these rootstock are vigorous enough to make up for that, but it still seems strange.

I'm under the impression that you lose all of the characteristics of the rootstock if the scion forms it's own root system, but may be mistaken.

Have you heard anyone talking about making the graft higher up the root stock? Maybe pinch the cotyledons off and make it between there and the first true leaves?
The above question/concern is one that's bothered me for some time as well. I came to the same possible solution when thinking about the problem. If we could just perform the graft higher up on the RS, then we'd be able to bury down more of the mother plant. I hope someone can chime in on whether this is a viable option, as my main concern is the grafting success rate might fall precipitously as you move the union up the RS stem. I'm not sure if that's a valid concern or not.

-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote