Thread: Raspberries!
View Single Post
Old January 13, 2014   #31
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah the SWD is a fairly new invader. Before we had no worms, and hardly any pest pressure. They are a tough one. I hope this cold winter set them back! If I see any in my area, I will probably net the raspberries. Stopping them with pesticides is tough. Still I will have to spray at first to make sure all are dead around the fruit before netting. Yes they have netting that will work, but what a pain it's going to be! So far I have not seen any either, but spotted in my county.

So Ted, how did the first season go? TX is not like raspberry country, you may be better off with blackberries. The Bababerry raspberry cultivar with grow in heat as long as shaded. Hard to find that one. I think Willis Nursery has it.
Here no problem in full sun. I have about 20 cultivars, red, purple, black, and yellow. Looking for a nice orange! A new primocane black raspberry was released this year. Niwot is the name. Hard to find. Expensive if you do! Henry Fields is selling them under the name Sweet Repeat. I'm a raspberry freak, so had to order one!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote