View Single Post
Old September 29, 2011   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine+two View Post
I live in a dry climate, so my method is on the simple side. I cut the pumpkin into thin wedges, then cut the wedges into smaller pieces so they would fit in my grain grinder. (The grain grinder ultimately didn't work, I used the blender to break the dry pumpkin up, but the smaller pieces worked better than large, so I do still suggest this step.) Then I put the pumpkin chunks on drying racks set on cookie sheets and put them all in a warm oven. My oven is pilot-less, but does have a warm setting, so I used that and blocked the door open just a bit with a wooden spoon. As I recall, it took about 2 days for everything to reach crispy dry. That's were my dry climate helps. I suspect it will take about double that for a more humid climate.

I would have used my mom's dehydrator, but she put it away before she died and my stepdad and I haven't been able to find it. I know as soon as I buy a new one we will find it, too!

Catherine
thanks for the information. i just may try that. this site is a wonderful resource with a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote