View Single Post
Old September 4, 2019   #35
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

OK, This is an extremely long post and is broken into sections because of the 30 image limit, hopefully you can get through it, lol.

January 31, 2014

SQWIBS Prime Rib

I finally got a chance to stop in at the new Restaurant Depot earlier this week.

I walked in and scanned my card and the gentleman at the desk said, "Excuse me sir, your card has expired"... my heart dropped.
My RD card is my most cherished possession, anyhow, he's fiddling with the computer but not saying anything and I'm thinking I'm screwed well after the longest two minutes of my life he says, "here you go". Wow, that was close.
Apparently your card will expire if not used in a certain amount of time.
Now I have an excuse to use it more often.

• I could go nuts just shopping for cheese,

• Tons of meat.

• We picked up a 16 lb (Boneless Rib Eye) Prime Rib and invited Mom and Dad up for dinner, here's my little baby now.
(Proud Pa Pa)

• I know... it's select not choice!

There are quite few methods for doing a (Boneless Rib Eye) Prime Rib.
I always panic when trying something new with a $100.00 piece of meat. I have tried several different methods before and all have been good, but one stood out as the best, this is the 2nd half that I cooked, shown later in this article.I wanted to get an understanding of how this meat cooks before I attempt smoking one. Many of the folks on this site whom I admire seem to be very happy with their results, (I wont mention any names as their too many to mention)
My fears have been set aside when it comes to this piece of meat and I am just as comfortable preparing this cut as I would something as simple as a Pork Loin.

• I decided to do half of the Boneless Rib Eye, as I thought 16 lbs. was a tad big for the five of us.

• OK, lets do this, Wiped down the DO with butter.

• Chopped a large onion for the bottom.

• Preheated the oven to 500°

• Seasoned with Butter, Montreal steak seasoning, soy sauce and brown sugar, added a cup of water and ˝ cup of vermouth to the DO.

• Decided to add some carrots at the last minute.

• I cooked on high heat 500° for 25 minutes and finished off at 325° to an internal temp of 125°

• The gravy was a bit too sweet from the first roast but tasted so close to french onion soup that I decided to play a little.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote