View Single Post
Old January 16, 2019   #63
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Glad to share info! And I hope that if anyone here has any treatment or method that they think possibly works to suppress RKN, they'll share it!

I'm going to run two separate trials this spring using summer squash which, along with cukes, seems to be the plants most susceptible to RKN in this garden. Right now the broccoli will be going down the middle of the bed where there's garlic along each side. That combo was great two springs ago. I think the broccoli benefitted from the extra nitrogen given to the garlic. When the broccoli comes out I will plant summer squash there.

The bed right next to that one will have green peas in it so when they're pulled out late May I'll put in more squash, use a molasses drench on those plants and see what happens.

I guess you could say that growing the early hybrid sweet corn in another RKN bed will be a third trial. It will be planted exactly like the successful heirloom dent corn was which was in 2' wide circles with 8 seeds spaced equally around the circumference of each circle. And, thanks to good notes, it will receive the exact same fertilizer regimen the heirloom got.

Come to think about it, while I have summer squash going I will test the usage of diatomaceous earth around their stems for squash bug suppression (another something I read about). I'm also going to try burying the squash stems 4' from the planting spot to initiate another rooting zone in case vine borers hit the main stem. Lots to do!

Last edited by GoDawgs; January 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote