Thread: Suncoast ???
View Single Post
Old July 29, 2013   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I knew you'd be the first and possibly the only one able to respond to my questions about Suncoast. Thank you! I remember you mentioning Suncoast in at least one thread here.

I found it strange that Suncoast is the only tomato in my 2013 patch that shows this possibly environmental, longitudinal stretching. Well, now that I think about it, Carolina Gold also is doing a little stretch, but not nearly so pronounced as Suncoast.

I just wanted to make sure I had the right seeds. As I said, they came straight from IFAS (Dr. Jay Scott) along with a booklet serving as a release notice. And they do exhibit the high crimson internal characteristics, although not as pronounced as the Tasti-Lee tomatoes I'm growing.

Anyway, I did hit all the modern determinates with a side dressing of high nitrogen plus a micronutrient supplement after first full fruit set, but only the Suncoast now have begun exhibiting micronutrient deficiencies ... intervenal chlorosis ... but not nitrogen deficiency. They're about done anyway, as all the terminal blossoms are set. Maybe I'll hit them with a dose just to get them thru the last month or so.

Not sure I'm going to use Suncoast for pollen, as I intended, as they aren't really all that tasty. And I'm not real fond of the foliage characteristics, other than the broad leaves, which I already have incorporated from a couple of NCSU cultivars. The Suncoast vines are just to daggone floppy. Did you notice that with yours?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote