View Single Post
Old October 14, 2016   #101
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Carolyn, sorry if I get on your nerves, it's just that that pic of the old gentleman carrying the clusters was posted AUGUST 13th 2015 and we still may not have a positive ID! That's FOURTEEN months! It's MY question of the year! So follow this journey:

That same day, Ilex said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
The one in the photo is 100 en pom (aka 100 en rama), probably 100 en pom de la Ribera. It's a "de colgar" tomato. I know one or two more similar de colgar ones. In fact, it's a wonderful trait for those tomatoes.
He also posted a photo of "another 'de colgar' tomato" that same day here, from the looks of it, about golf ball size with a nipple:
http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=56

Then on the 16th of AUGUST 2015, Ilex made this post, no photos were posted...
Quote:
Two more ... 100 en ramo de llagrima and bombeta. First is a colgar type, second is a long shelf life but not a true de colgar (weeks vs months).
...and you asked him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ilex, is there any way you can show actual pictures as youhave with others b'c I can only see actual pictures, not by any kind of attachments, etc. No doubt a software problem with my browser, but it's been this way for a long time, sadly, and no fix in sight.

Carolyn
Then the next day, Ilex posted pics of Bombeta...

...and " 'Les refardes' collected this 'Mallorquin' at Solsona. From the name it should come from Mallorca...", the pic of the tomatoes hanging from the rafters:

A year later, on August 29, 2016, when Ilex commented on when to pull the plants based on storage or fresh use, you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I go back to the picture of the elderly man holding the whole plant of Ribera which was not inground but had been pulled.

So if I'm wrong,I'm wrong,and it wouldn't be the first time.

I also remember some wonderful pictures posted somewhere here of de colgar types,hanging from rafters to ripen and those were whole plants.

Where did I go wrong,I know you'll tell me.

Carolyn
Earlier that day Geraldo wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

The trusses are big on La Ribera, as with most multifloras the fruit set is pretty dismal, and it may been related to bug attacks and harsh weather.

De Colgar 100 averaged about 8-10 per truss.
Papuo 3-9 per truss range, a lot of 3s
La Ribera had lots of flowers and not so great fruit set, with the above qualifiers.

I've harvested fruits and am waiting for them to ripen, so it may be a long wait. They had reached color on the vine for the most part. There's a few I've tried for fresh eating and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to eat them.

The correct way is to wait 3 mos and then smear them on bread.

I've got seedlings for the above three destined for a 2nd fall run, this time with a lot more water restriction.

I should have plenty of seeds for papuo and 100, not so many for La Ribera. In a few months, yes, plenty. I hope.
...to which Ilex replied:

Quote:
both papuo and 100 en pom de la Ribera are very good for fresh eating. Very good intense flavour and very good texture with a lot of aroma. I have papuo in the amazing category. Let some ripen on the vine.

Taste in de colgar tomatoes is usually quite different from normal tomatoes.
OK, what's papuo??? To your last post quoted above, Ilex replied:

Quote:
He's not holding a plant, just a trush at each hand. Those leaves are part of the fruit flush. There are two varieties one at each hand. They are usually picked at the stage of the one at his left hand, or slightly more ripe.

Now that I've grown quite a few 100 en pom de la Ribera and look at the picture, I'm afraid to say it's not that one At least I'm getting something else from that variety (and I got the seeds from the man in the picture). I'm getting nipples and no ribs.
I'm not sure if I missed any posts, rounding up these involved multiple thankless hours across multiple threads and I am still confused what the man is carrying. I'm still not seeing anything similar to a beefsteak!

I am interested in growing multifloras, I must be near 10-12 different ones and am reducing growing my standard inflorescence cherry & medium sized varieties in favor of MF's. So I'd love to grow those, they look to be similar in size or slightly larger than my SMFL MF's.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote