View Single Post
Old October 12, 2016   #94
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Ilex, could you please describe the differences between these names and multiflora varieties? I think you ruled out de la Ribera for some reason? (referring to the pic of the man holding the trusses.) Could you post a list of the de colgar tomatoes you're hinting about all in 1 post? Thanks.
Mark, I was confused about Ribera as well,so I e-mailed him and he sent back a long answer.

Summary?

Neither of the ones that the old man was holding,two different varieties,are Ribera. Ilex knows the old man.

What helped a lot was that one of my seed producer got back to me and described the Ribera grown this summer as

(I would love to know what Ilex has changed about his description of Ribera. My plants produced clusters of golf ball size red globes with two seed cavities, green shoulders, and a small pointed nipple at the blossom end. I can't list them as beefsteaks.)

His response was that it looks like Ribera,which is a multiflora.

The only persons affected by all this re Ribera are 3 of my seed producers who grew it this past summer.I had two plants out but no fruits since it was a lousy year here and I almost posted in the Wanted subforum,that I'd
appreciate someone sending me some tomatoes.

What I'm going to do is to put all three of my seed producers on the same group e-mail and send them an abbreviated version of what Ilex sent me.

They are the only ones who need to know about it right now since they are the only ones I sent seeds, 2/3 are SSE listed members,however,Ilex also listed Ribera in the 2016 SSE Yearbook, the deadline for that is coming up soon,so if he can update,that would be good.

I also sent him the link you put up that was in Spanish and here's what he said about that.

(Regarding link:

somebody asks about a mystery tomato with 100 tomatoes per bunch, another says it might be "araņa" (de colgar tomatoes are sometimes called "araņa" (spider) because in storage they usually get a LOT of spider mites) and the famous photo appears.)

So not much help, unfortunately.

Carolyn