View Single Post
Old June 30, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/95/4/571

Without seeing a picture my suggestion is internal BER. Most folks know external BER at the blossom end but not that many folks know that it can also occur internally.

In the link above scroll down until you see on the left the panel of four pictures with one showing internal BER.

I've spent over 30 min trying to find other good pictures with no luck. I wish I could transfer the picture of internal BER to here, the one that's in my Seminis Tomato monograph, but I can't.

Just know that when you cut open the fruit that the black can be just around the edges or can involve a small black area in the center or a much larger black area covering most of the internal part of the fruit.

The same information you know about BER , which is a physiological condition not a disease, and what causes it can also be applied to internal BER.

Edited to add that there are some other causes of black areas on fruits that are caused by infectious agents such as Black Mold and Rhizoctonia but the lesions for those can be seen externally whereas with internal BER the exterior looks fine until you cut the fruit open.