View Single Post
Old July 19, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Great day, JR! You're going to have okra coming out of your ears! Do you use all of that?

We'll pick corn for the table every day but to get the quantity for putting up I do several pickings. The first one is all the ears whose ends are somewhat rounded. The pointy ends usually aren't as ready as I want them. About four or so days later I'll pick most everything else.

Then a few days after that I'll get all the small ears. They're usually thin with the top half not filled out but a nice bottom half. I call those the nubbins. Pickles fries up some bacon, takes that out and then sautes the corn and a bit of onion in the bacon drippings. Add back the chopped bacon and OH MY! Good enough to make you lick a hole in your plate!

It's hard to get a second corn crop here. Way too much insect pressure and heat. That's why I push the envelope early and try to get an early variety planted in a raised bed around mid April. This year that went in April 7. The Silver Queen needed warmer soil and didn't go in until April 28.

I'll be planting 4 rows of field peas this evening where the double SQ rows were. I'll be picking the very last of those right before the first light frost.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote