View Single Post
Old May 31, 2012   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeH View Post
Jan

The man who invented the Earthbox is from Manatee County. His family has a "research center" in Ellenton where they sell them and give free demonstrations on how to use the Earthbox. Check out the Earthbox website for more info.

I have been growing tomatoes in Sarasota for more than 5 years. I have had some spectacular years (this year) and some real disasters (last year).

I grow in pots. I start my own seeds in December and July. I think the key here is timing and a mild winter. Fall is tougher but I have had some success. I usually fight TYLC virus and plants are more likely to show signs of it that time of year before they set many tomatoes. I have better luck with cherries then. I was so discouraged last year that I didn't plant a fall garden at all.

I am glad I got over it because this year is probably my second best year of all time and I have had no signs of the virus.

Marjorie

I had a great year this year too, but I had a constant battle with the whiteflies after late part of March, and they did eventually win. All my plants got TYLCV but not before giving me the most amazing season I have ever had . Last year was horrible for almost everyone I know of in Florida.
I start my seeds in early Sept, and again in January. That's to take advantage of the cool weather. I do have to cover them with our one or 2 days of very low temps and frost danger, but they usually survive just fine
Growing in pots is the key for me.
There is an excellent youtube video by the Earthbox man on how to use them,
Also a video by the Growbox people on their very similar and a little less expensive ones.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote