View Single Post
Old March 4, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
hi Carolyn,

I think Glenn listed it at SSE a few years ago. Perhaps I got it as a bonus from Sandhill.
This PL variant may have appeared several times, because I remember Bill Malin here in NM had a version and Jere at Baker Creek said it showed up in his field as well. Perhaps you or someone else here knows the timeline.
Always good to hear from you. The PL Indian Stripe you sent me last season turned out great - healthy plant and earlier, better production than CP.

Lee
Yes Bill Malin was first with his Spudakee, and then Jere with his Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf.

And I know several who grew out those two PLUS regular Cherokee Purple and there was no clear conclusion as to whether either of the PL ones were the same as the original RL one except for leaf form.

Different persons growing them in different areas in different seasons, etc.

Which is why with the Orange Minsk Heart, even if I'd had enough seeds that first year I wanted it regrown to see if it would still be a heart, and it was, so I listed it.

What bothers me so much, and here I go again,is many folks thinking that a PL version of an origial RL is the same except for leaf form.

It was Keith Muller who remined me that there's more than one way that an RL goes to PL that is not the result of a single spontaneous mutation. Those DNA mechanisms being repeats,inversions and looping out, which I knew from work with bacteria but never thought to transfer that info to tomato DNA, and anyof them can affect MORE than one trait at one time.

Lately I've seen a couple of folks who have talked about a PL going to an RL. Can't be a single spontaneous mutation b'c the statistical chance of the exact same gene being reversed is astronomical.

So I think most of those PL to RL's are the result of cross pollination or stray seeds.

Carolyn