View Single Post
Old December 12, 2019   #29
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Update

We put a slice in the yams and cooked them in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Then cut them in half and scraped out the insides. The texture was a bit like mashed potatoes.

I didn't want to make a special trip so I used what I had on hand. I found a recipe online for crumb top. Rolled oats, butter and cinnamon then mash with a pastry dough blender and bake. It looked good until I burnt it. Then I used the dough blender to crush oatmeal cookies. That worked well for the topping. Placed the yams and the topping in a warming chaffing dish. I liked the end product much better than I did last year with opening a can of yams and heating them up. The flavor was much better.

Our guests are always looking for a way to help and this was a good project for them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
Any hints on yams? We do the whole meal (others do Christmas and Easter), guests will probably bring wine. Last year I was not at all satisfied with the canned yams we used. We can't bake them in the oven because it is not big enough.

We have experimented with peeling them and then cooking in the microwave...too dry. For ourselves we always cook them in the microwave and serve with the skin on and they come out fine. We want to try cooking in the microwave with skin on and then scraping out the inside and then placing in the serving pan. They are already pretty sweet but I think we have to put something on top, brown sugar? or some maple syrup? I don't want to use the traditional marshmallows. They will go in a catering style stainless steel server/warmer. I am hoping to make them several hours in advance and keep them hot in the server with the lid on. The texture will be a bit like course mashed potatoes with melted brown sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup on top.

Will this work? My son's girlfriend may be available to help with cutting and scooping out the yams. We can do three or four at a time in the microwave. The whole yam preparation thing might be a good project for her.

It does get busy and I like to get as much done as early as possible. We do get some help from guests that arrive early.

We are celebrating Thanksgiving Saturday because traffic here on Thursday is undoable.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, candied yams, cranberry sauce, salad (no romaine), chips, dip, crackers, cheese, various cookies, candies and snacks, wine, beer and water...coffee. What am I forgetting?

Serving 14

Last edited by zeuspaul; December 12, 2019 at 08:21 PM.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote