View Single Post
Old July 12, 2008   #4
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Suze and Everyone.....

This technique is somewhat inspired by the Soil Solarization Technique (SST). For those unfamiliar with SST, it is a method used for the control of RKN whereby the infected soil is tilled, smoothed out, lightly watered and then covered with clear plastic with the edges buried in the ground thus using heat trapped by sunlight to "cook" the soil and destroy the RKN - this method requires the plastic to be left in place for weeks or better yet, months at a time to ensure maximum heat penetration into the soil. The SST method probably is effective from 4" to 6" at best.

The obvious problem with the SST is the fact that only a small percentage of the total depth of soil needing to be treated will actually be brought up to a high enough temperature to kill the RKN and depending on the heat temperature achieved, that heat level may have to be maintained for a matter of hours. However, the effectiveness of heat on RKN are dramatically increased when the temps reach 135+ degrees (F) bringing the time for maintaining the heat level down to a matter of minutes. But complicating this further is that all sorts of variables can reduce the effectiveness of soil solarization using the method described above such as clods of soil on the surface.

My version is basically the "Nuclear Option" for eliminating RKN and does use heat. My method is not for everyone. It's quite labor intensive amoung other things.

I'll be performing some minor prep work tomorrow morning which basically involves the raking of the three beds that will be treated and removing all weeds and grass, etc from that area. Next weekend I will be applying the technique and will be posting photos and details the following week.

The material list for my method:
  1. Cardboard - has to be enough to cover an area at least three times the total width of the surface area to be treated and equal the length of same area. Plastic sheeting must not be used with this technique.
  2. Heat Gun - I have one with two heat ranges and will heat to over 1000 degrees (F). Don't even think about using a blow dryer.
  3. Garden Hose w/sprayer.
  4. Soil Thermometer
  5. Shovel
More later,

Jay
BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote