Thread: Leaf curl?
View Single Post
Old July 17, 2010   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

A twofer for uber and dice.

I completely ignore leaf curling unless and until other symptoms appear. And it's normal for many hybrids to always have curled leaves.

Leaves will curl if it's too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet or whatever. if the leaves curl over into a tube like structure then look for aphids.

If it's somewhat early in the season where any of you live, as it is with me right now, there's another condition called Leaf Roll that can occur and it's a physiological condition that occurs when foliage and root mass are out of balance and it self corrects as the plants mature.

If the leaves are curling and in addition start looking spindly with what's called a shoestring appearance then something to consider is CMV ( cucumber mosic virus) which also can infect tomatoes and CMV has a huge number of host plants such as weeds, etc.

Dice, would Curly Top really be a possibility in your part of the country? And while I haven't checked every possible virus around that can infect tomatoes, I don't wanna, LOL, the only viroid I know of off hand is the Potato Spindle Viroid, which also infects tomatoes and was the reason that Australia now prohibits importation of tomato seed unless accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.