Thread: Garlic planted
View Single Post
Old October 22, 2018   #18
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I got a start on my planting this weekend.
Got two 14'x100' tunnels planted. 4 beds in each tunnel.
Ran out of space but still had cloves, so planted a ~100' bed in my field area

Of note: 20 lbs of Chesnock (large bulbs) planted 450' worth of beds (3 rows per bed, rows and cloves 9" apart).
20 lbs of German extra hardy (large and xtra large bulbs) planted 300' of beds
15 lbs of music (large and extra large) planted 180' of beds

9.5 more field beds (3'x200') to go and one more tunnel. Noreaster possible this weekend, gonna mess up my schedule, as I work during the week and rely on weekends for stuff like planting.

Another note: After soaking the cloves in fish fertilizer for 24 hrs, I had roots and shoots showing on about 25% of the cloves when we drained the buckets.
Normally don't use fish, as it is THE most expensive form of N pound per pound versus other sources and its not even close, but I had some free samples of a dehydrated super concentrate powder that is 15-1-1 and 100% dissolvable. Not sure if was the fert or the duration of the soak (could you get the same results with just water soak for 24hrs).
Not sure that soaking it fert even does anything. The cloves have a waxy surface under the clove wrappers and skins. It seems those are the only parts that are going to absorb fertilizer., not the clove itself.
Plus, after I drain the fert, I do a 10 minute soak in 10% hydrogen peroxide, so I wonder if that washes off the fert on the surfaces anyway.

Last edited by PureHarvest; October 22, 2018 at 11:07 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote