View Single Post
Old November 3, 2018   #21
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn - I am always on the lookout for standout varieties! And best of luck keeping on top of your health challenges. Those hit even the best of us, at some point or another, hopefully later rather than sooner.

I own no property and grow in the backyard gardens of relatives and other gardening acquaintances, primarly on four plots this year. The deal is I provide all the seeds, seedlings and labor in exchange for first pick of ripe fruits for seed saving. They provide land and water and get to keep the rest of the produce.

On occasion I get help in the form of a "family gardening day" with potting up seedlings or transplanting, but over the course of a year, 99% of the work is done by me alone - me and my trusty headphones listening to college courses, debates, podcasts, etc. I simply cannot tolerate manual labor by myself with no conversation, unless I can keep my mind occupied as well as my hands.

Since my annual after-expense income is on par with an average Kenyan (even with 100+ hour weeks, 52 weeks per year...), I am very far from being able to hire any help. People who know about my little adventure into the world of entrepreneurship think I am insane - it is a indeed a challenging business model. But I feel strongly about what I am trying to accomplish and trust that other gardeners who are like-minded will continue to support my efforts and encourage their gardening friends to be adventurous as well. Maybe try something besides Celebrity, Early Girl, Better Boy, etc.? LOL

Probably too much information...

Anyhow, I'll keep my eye out for a PM here or an email at dale@gianttomatoseeds.com

Thanks again for your example, leadership and encouragement!
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote