View Single Post
Old June 8, 2017   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltRoos View Post
From the books I've read, All ??, tomatoes have a very similar PH. (Acid). The main difference is in the sugar content. ie different tomatoes with the same PH will taste acidic or not depending on the sugar content. (Brix ?)

" There is probably as much variation in the pH and acidity of tomatoes due to climate,soil,cultural practices and ripeness as(there is) to variety differences," "USDA"
from "All About Tomatoes " book. about 1980.

Myself, I just don't know. Until this year My Taste buds have been in very sorry shape, which I believe was caused mostly by Nasal Sprays. I gave them all up except Saline solution, and my taste buds are recovering nicely. I'm not a Dr. but I think I could play one on TV. At 76 years old my doctors no longer tell me what's best for me. I study any problems and we discuss what "we" are going to do to make things better. Well, That's my attitude anyway.

I enjoy both the Celebrity and Jet Star as well as the Big Beef. I hope that this year I will be able to finally do some good taste tests.

love to all,

walt

PS So now when I read that a Tomato is low in Acidity I automatically interpret that to mean that this tomato has a high sugar content, or whatever.
I'm not so sure I agree with everything you wrote, but yes,the internal pH of different varieties can vary quite a bit,BUT,how that affects taste is a different story.

Yes, a high concentration of sugars,viz, the Brix level,is not directly correlated with internal pH

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mato+varieties

If I'd spent more time I could come up with a longer list,but the first three links on the above page should help.

And you've just reminded me that many years ago a man named T Sherwood,a fellow SSE member, was determing the internal pH of about 150 varieties, but I don't remember why he was doing that.All I know is that he asked me if I wanted the leftover seeds in the packs,he sent them and I thanked him.

Carolyn, who notes that she will be 78 this month and can still appreciate the different tastes of tomatoes,thank heavens.LOL