View Single Post
Old April 8, 2015   #52
mouka_f_slouka
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I do sell. But no where near what I am growing. The seed I grow and sell, I buy. If I buy the seed and save it, than I will grow it and maybe sell it, but the seed that I get from trades and gifts I keep for myself. Those I don't sell.

I have so many varieties this year as I have the tomato bug big time since I discovered how good heirlooms are. I have never seen most all the tomatoes I have started and will start let alone taste them.

I'll take all the ones I am growing and save enough seed to give back and share with others and the tomatoes will go to feed folks. In the fall I go around to those homebound, seniors, and anybody else that I know that might need fresh veggies to supplement their diets and give just about everything I grow away. I grow mainly for the joy and pleasure of it and the sharing. It's alot of work, but seeing the smiles on folks faces is all worth it. For me anyways.

More babies! This is such a neat thread. I love getting to see all these tomatoes. It is interesting to see how folks all grow them and those that have tags, seeing new tomatoes you haven't heard of yet, but now feel the need to add to your collection. Sugar Beefsteak. Now I have to go see what it is like.

All these pics is not helping my addiction.

I found pencils would sometimes get stuck and rip the roots up. When doing a big tray. I slighty tip it up and use the blunt end of a small paint brush. I go along a row and pop em loose and than come back and gently pull out the ones I wanted for transplant. That way the others can grow or seed that hasn't sprouted yet can do so.

That's why I started cutting them 288 trays up into sections before sowing. Cutting into 72 cell sections when you need more of the same seed is a whole lot easier to handle and you can still put all the sections into a flat to hold them.
I think it is mighty nice of you to share your harvest with seniors and the needsy. That's the true spirit of gardening.
You made me very proud to belong to this Tomatoville community.
God bless you for all your good deeds and your kindness!
mouka_f_slouka is offline   Reply With Quote