View Single Post
Old April 4, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Lore is absolutely correct in that germplasm from the USDA is no longer available to individuals such as we.

Craig and I got a huige anount of material out of the USDA many years ago when it was posssible to do so and listed everything in the SSE Yearbook so that others would have access to it.

And it's entirely possible that what you're looking for may appear in a future Yearbook, or indeed is online somewhere at a pepper related site, of which there are several.

The USDA system was so abused that several years ago restrictions were put into place. Some folks slipped thru that and Z-man was one of them, unfortunately, and in addition he posted at several website encouraging folks to apply for seeds, b'c an application is required.

At that time I contacted the USDA station where he had requested seeds from as well as one other USDA station and asked them to clarify their policy, and they did, in an E-mail that the head of the Ames station sent me. I had asked that she write one that I could post, and did so.

Have you Googled the various pepper varieties that you're seeking? If it were me I think I'd start there b'c you seem to be indicating that what you want is so rare such that the probability of youre posting here or elsewhere in the varieties wanted section, or at Tville in the Forum for peppers, might not yield results. But if it were me I think I'd also post here at Tville where folks are posting about peppers b'c I know two folks who do have extensive pepper collections who do post here and if they don't have what you want they might be able to better direct you.

Hope that helps.

And I will say that I do agree with the current restrictions on obtaining USDA germplasm for many reasons.