View Single Post
Old April 4, 2007   #1
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Default USDA's Seed "Vault(s)"??

I'm not a plant breeder persay...have one f3 creation in the works, an as of yet un-named pepper. It shows promise, though I have no illusions whatsoever that it'll venture beyond my garden and the plots of a few local friends I give/share seedlings with. Just like most people who cannot get enough of their favorite hobby I always strive for improvement and embrace advice from any and all likeminded folks. If I ramble on aimlessly or answer my own questions with a question I apologize in advance...though I'll try to avoid it.

I receive probably 25 seed catalogs yearly, if not more from a variety of diverse vendors; in addition I'm a "small time" listed member of SSE. Same as many here I/we have access to a HUGE amount of germplasm.

Lately I've been checking out GRIN(Germplasm Resources Information Network) an online system, probably hardcopy too, created and maintained by the US Dep't Agriculture. Holy Guacamole Batman....there's a ton of s@$t in the various depositories which are scattered across the country. Here commences my ramblings, though in all honesty its 4:45AM here and I'm oncall for local EMS...hope we're not dispatched to your place, just kidding about my foginess!!

I'm obviously an amateur by all definitions...specifically those regarding plant biology,genetics, etc. I don't know agricultural people in "high places" eg colleges, universities. And to boot I'm essentially a gardening rookie. If my understanding is reasonably accurate it seems that the USDA via the GRIN network will provide seeds(of a huge number of botanical types) to those engaged in research or within the broad scope of the scientific community if possible. Contacted a few non-governmental and educational institutions and the info forthcoming was about as fast as Lt. Dan at Forrest Gump's wedding...if ya know what I'm getting at.

Has anyone requested material from them?? Does a novice such as myself stand a snowballs' chance in Tucson in receiving seeds from them? My particular interest relates to peppers. They just have material that the aforementioned catalogs and SSE members do not seem to have. Not expecting miracles, not trying to be different, just want to try a new avenue. Want to trial some rarer peppers, share my results, possibly breed compatible types. Overnight success takes on average, what.......23 years??
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote