View Single Post
Old August 21, 2013   #10
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes are averaging 16-18oz, like JiminNJ.

The skin is a beautiful pink shade, which has green shoulders when incompletely ripe (see above) that almost totally disappear when ripe.

I found the inside pretty meaty with relatively few seed locules, most of which are located toward the end of the tomato (as seen in the slice below. Note this is the same tomato as above, but the above shows the true color better. The color balance is off on this one, making it look too red).

I also finally got to taste them, and I'm going to put myself on the line and say: I found the taste of this spectacular. Superlative. I love GWR tomatoes when I want a citrusy zing in a tomato, and I love Cherokee Purple or Black from Tula when I want a dusty, earthy full tomato flavor, but when I want a tomato that tastes like a tomato through and through, tomato the way it would taste in my head but so rarely does in life, it would taste like these. I cant think of anything I would add or subtract from the taste. My husband, who tolerates my garden madness with good humor and loves classic tomatoes melted into a puddle of joy when I gave him a bite of the SNFLA. Divine simply sliced, great in caprese salad, heaven on a BLT. Juicy with good mouth feel but not so juicy as to ruin the bread.

I know people love brandywine (and heck, maybe this IS a pink brandywine) but I have never been able to get those prima donas to produce well in my garden, typically getting one or two tomatoes that are still green when I pull them inside to ripen before a frost hits. Even comparing my garden SNFLA to the brandywines I've purchased from my local farmers, I would say I prefer the taste of the SNFLA, though the general category of taste is similar. If you like a brandywine I think you'd probably like these.

This is productive with big tomatoes and a great taste. It is the tallest plant in my garden right now. Disease resistance seems fair as far as I can observe: I have some septoria in other plants in my garden but none yet on SNFLA. It has shown a tendency to crack with all the flash rains we got, and to crack more than other varieties I'm growing, but I dont mind cutting around the crack.

Verdict: A definite thumbs up. Besides, my husband would probably leave me if I didnt grow these again every year.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote