Thread: Wasps
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2019   #32
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
I always spray them at night, after the colony has bedded down. Locate the nest entrance during the day, but since many wasps are out foraging at that time resist the urge to spray since it is possible you'll get stung by returning wasps. At night they are all in the nest, and typically far less aggressive. Put your sprayer head into the nest entrance and give them a really good dousing with your soap mix - a couple of litres is good. If you saturate everything during your first attempt you'll get the entire colony, otherwise it will take you multiple tries.
This is good advice. I just wish I could say I had located the entrance to the nest. It's possible I've already dislodged it as there was some rotting wood in that area; but it's also possible the true nest is just the other side of our back fence, which is untended growth immediately behind us. I'm keeping at it, and with the long-sleeved white shirt, hat, gloves, and scarf, I managed to gain a little confidence about working in that area. Now all I need is a saw or cutter on a super long stick (though I venture to say that my bf, who is not tall but is taller than me, might be able to reach the areas that need trimming up) to finish the job on the bird of paradise. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it blooms fresh! Currently the "birds" are black, but I don't know whether that's because they are dried up or whether they'll come in that way. Final cleanup will include some Osmicote, some compost, and a good layer of mulch around it. That ought to help improve the very sandy natural soil back there.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote