View Single Post
Old April 26, 2021   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Exciting times, your garden looks great! Rosella cherry was a new to me variety last year, you better believe it's back this year, a very delicious and a bit unique to me. I'm a few weeks away from planting out my warm season things. Are your tomatoes in containers on pallets due to soil nematodes?
Thanks for kind words! And yes, Rosella is back after my first taste last year thanks to donated seed from a kind soul.

Yep, there are 'todes in the soil here and there but the real reason is that there's some kind of bacterial wilt in the soil that only messes with the tomatoes. They'll grow great, start setting fruit and then on morning I'll notice a few of the branch tips drooping a little. Uh oh. By the next day about a third of the plant is wilted. By the fourth day most of the plant is wilted. So into buckets and onto pallets it is.

This wilt thing started up with the tomatoes before the nematodes took hold in the garden but I'm pretty sure the 'todes would do a job on the 'maters if they got a chance!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote