Thread: I'm Smoking it
View Single Post
Old January 9, 2019   #59
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Rob, i'd be interested to hear if you can expound on this comment.

>>> The smoke flavor is different compared to a drum.

I've been using and enjoying a WSM 18 bullet for the past year. One major drawback to me is the bi-level racks, and the tricky access to the lower grate during cooking. So I could easily see another, different smoker in my future. Thanks.
Like Worth said, there's lots of ways to cook on an offset and it takes a while to learn your pit with trial and error but it's a fun journey and you get to eat along the way!!!

The offset was designed to burn wood with the same kind of fire you would have in a fireplace. Meaning an actual fire and not smoldering putting out heavy thick smoke. That's why they're called a stick burner, they burn actual wood/sticks. When you run the fire that way the smoke is almost invisible coming out of the exhaust and the heat is moving that clean smoke over the meat faster than in a drum so you get a cleaner and lighter smoke flavor.

On a drum or barrel smoker most people use a charcoal basket and load it up then dump a chimney of hot coals over the top and control the burn with your bottom vent. That creates thick smoke because you're choking out the fire to control the temperature. It works and I love my drum but there is a difference in flavor.

With that said, everyone has different tastes and some people like heavy smoke. I like smoke too but I don't like so much smoke that I'm still burping smoke 4 hours after I eat.

Next time you fire up your WSM don't use any wood, just burn briquettes and you'll be surprised that you'll still get a smoke ring and smoke flavor without it being really strong.