View Single Post
Old September 7, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I’ve searched the forum and came up with about 12 that were sweet (I gave up after reading about 100 threads). I have Carolyn’s book and I believe she has about 25 listed as sweet. Unfortunately, I found no description of skin thickness. I do know that taste is subjective and that growing conditions are a variable.

I'm answering b'c you've mentioned my name.

Not only is taste subjective but so is the individual perception of skin thickness in my opinion, so no, I made absolutely no mention of skin thickness in my book for any of the varieties.

My own experience is that only ONE of all the varieties I've ever grown, of the OP type, had thick tough skin, and that was Roi Umberto, a pre-1800 variety.

Other than that a few of the hybrids Iv'e grown have had somewhat thick skins, but then they're bred for that for shelf life and shippability. I exclude the Harris varieties Moreton Hybrid, Supersonic and Jet Star, especially, since I've never had thick skins with them/

But thru all the years of posting online about tomatoes, since about 1989, it's also become clear to me that weather can toughen skins for some folks. That's tomato skins, not human skin. No, I don't know what specific weather does that any more than I know what kind of weather can also lead to mealiness, exherted stigmas and yellow shoulders.

I'd be glad to pick out some sweet ones and list them here, but again, as well you know by now, what's sweet to me many not be same to you.