View Single Post
Old August 1, 2011   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Yes, post #34. I wonder if Draper did Black Krim x Galina's, or Galina's x Black Krim?

Sounds like he did Black Krim x Galina's but failed to get a cross or a complete cross, because no way should that cross give you purple fruit in the F1. Definitely should be red fruit. Also, fruit size of 5 oz. seems about 2x larger than should be in the F1 for a 1-oz. cherry x Black Krim. And I'm not sure Galina's is even 1 ounce in weight.

I think maybe your "F1" seeds were Black Krim alone, and were smallish due to some other reason.
If only I had perfect memory, it's not perfect but what I do know is that knowing Steve it would have been Galina X Black Krim so that he knew if the cross took and that all five F1 plants were RL.

I grew Galina's when it was first made available by Bill McDorman and it was not smaller than Sungold F1 and I'd estimate maybe 1-2 oz.

I also had grown Black Krim and the French version Noire de Crimmee so know what Black Krim should be.

All to say that what I got on all 5 F1 plants was kind of a dusky color, not red and not purple as I understand purple and the best comparison I can make is with the color of Pale Perfect Purple bred by Tad Smith.

As to shape, all were globes. As to size, I may be a bit off on this but maybe in the 3-5 oz range, I just can't remember.

I also remember that I grew out 6 plants in the summer of 1998 and another 6 plants in the summer of 1999 and got essentially no gene segregation but as I said above some others did, I don't remember what they got, from my saved F2 seeds.

I think I may have even offered those F2 seeds in a seed offer either at AOL or Garden Web, where I was doing seed offers at the time.

I have to search my vials for a couple of varieties for Tania and if I come across those saved F2 seeds from Galina X Black Krim, well, I'll let you know about it.