View Single Post
Old August 6, 2017   #51
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
Nan---I have no way of knowing for sure, but my Polish seedlings had a kind of tip burn that reminded me of "The Crud" that we sometimes get on heart varieties. I probably will only grow 5 or 6 tomato plants the next few years, and they will be in grow bags with Promix BX as the soil. I may try to heat treat some seeds for next season. This year the four plants I have in grow bags are completely free of any type of foilage disease, where the 15 plants in the ground are mostly all infected with canker. So I have to try to fix any problem that may be in my garden soil for the future, and once that is done I will probably be heat treating seed to prevent this disease from coming back.
Perhaps you didn't know that I was the one who called it CRUD,maybe you do.

But when I asked Dr Tom Zitter,the Prof at Cornell what might be going on,he knew what I was talking about and said he thought it was an aberrant form of early Blight, which as I se it wouldn't have anything to do with with soilborne diseases.

The CRUD is almost always seen on seedlings inside where the leaves turn brown,I'd take them all off and those poo seedlings would look like Palm trees,but one put outside, they would grow normally,thank heavens.

Carolyn