View Single Post
Old April 6, 2019   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Your plants are doing great. I have tried twice, and they look half the size and nowhere near as green as yours. My mid winter indoor growing conditions lead to the perfect environment for spider mites, so that may be what is :bugging: them. I started mine around the holidays, or before.
In my first attempt the mix was too wet and germination was poor, started a second sowing in seed starting mix. Germination was almost overnight and percentage was good but at 4 months they look no where near as green and robust as yours.

They look really pretty once they start blooming. My plan was to grow one in ground and the remainder in a large container to be brought indoors in fall. Do you think you will have time for harvest without bringing inside?

- Lisa
Thanks! They get some Miracle Grow in their watering when I think about it and I try to water only when the pot starts feeling a little light. And they've been under the lights their whole life so far. Today they're now 5.5" tall and starting to push new foliage at the leaf axils:

From one article ( https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

"If intended solely for the production of calyces, the ideal planting time in southern Florida is mid-May. Blooming will occur in September and October and calyces will be ready to harvest in November and December. Harvesting causes latent buds to develop and extends the flowering life of the plant to late February. When the fruit is not gathered but left to mature, the plants will die in January."

Here in east central Georgia (Augusta area) I'm going to try to plant three in the ground and one in a big pot in late April or the beginning of May if the weather cooperates and bring the potted one indoors probably around mid October. I think I'll be able to harvest some. I'm going to try the foliage too. Here's another and less wonky article:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...cus-zw0z11zsto
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote