View Single Post
Old January 5, 2016   #65
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
LOL. Great idea! Post so many types of photographs that even if they take a unique photograph, you can claim it was so much like a photograph that you took that it was essentially copied.

Actually, though, I am fine with the limitations that go with releasing OP varieties, and I am fine with not having control of Blush and other OP varieties I have released. And, it is nice to have such a large diversity of freely available OP genetics to work with.

But that doesn't mean I want to pledge to ONLY produce freely available OP varieties with little means to recoup development costs (or horrors, with little means to make a profit).
Love that photo IDea!
I agree with your POV exactly Fred, it is wonderful to give back to the pool of amazing OP's and heirlooms we have drawn from to create something new.

I would not myself use your (or someone else's) recent OP's to make a hybrid F1 for sale either, while there you are wondering how to pay for the development. You should be doing that, not someone else.

It makes sense to me to create your own breeding lines in house and release some as OP's and keep some others private which are used to make exceptional F1 for sale, if that's the obvious way to pay for the project. (or horrors, make a profit!)
If I happened to find an exceptional F1 of two heirloom or OP varieties not my own creations, I wouldn't keep the parentage a secret. If the OP was yours, I'd tell you about it. If the OP was public domain, I'd tell everybody, and let anyone who wants to do the work, make F1 seed if it is worthwhile to do it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote