Thread: Muchamiel
View Single Post
Old August 9, 2015   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
I do not agree, and I do know a few people from Spain.

I agree it's almost impossible to buy a good tomato, or eat a good one at a restaurant in Spain.

Most old Spanish varieties are very, very good, with thin skins and very delicate flesh. We like good food, and most tomatoes were selected with flavour in mind.

Diversity here is huge, we have over 3000 varieties left. Most people pick tomatoes ripe on the vine, green ones were those sent to market as it was impossible to ship old varieties ripe. It's a problem with the market side, not with the farmer or the varieties.

For example, I have many varieties better than ... Rose de Berne, Neves Azorean, Barlow Jap or Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye.
Ilex, you have no idea howpleased I am to see that you are posting b'c I consider you an expert on Spanish tomatoes and there has been lots of talk here recently about them.

Several years ago you were the one who said that there were several different ones all named Huevos D Toro, possibly even different colors, and I was asking about the red one which made its way to France and was renamed Couillies de Taureau by Roland Robin.

Maybe you don't remember, but I certainly do b/c it helped me, and then others to know about the origin of Couilles de Taureau.And that variety, one of the Huevos ones (red), is absolutely outstanding with regard to taste and production

About the tart taste of the ones I listed from Spain that I'd grown. All I can say is that they were tart to me and the same for others who posted in this thread.

But if you have some varieties better than Neves Azorean Red and the others you mentioned, here I am and open to any trades possible with ones (not Spanish ones) that I have been offering in my annual seed offers here at Tville, the now very late 2015 one I hope to get up within the next few weeks, and then the 2016 one which should go up in January, fingers crossed, if seed production by my seed producers goes well this summer, and several of those seed producers have been having weather problems. After 2004 when I fell and got put into this walker I decided to find varieties that would be new to all ormost and have been very successful in doing that sonew ones from Romania,Slovenia, Italy, Turkey,Germany, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, France and elsewhere as well as new ones from folks here in the US.

Again, I'm so glad to see you posting here and please continue to do so. In a way just seeing you post reminds me of my trip to Spain and Portugal and Morocco that I made quite a few years ago and being able to better remember all the wonderful places in Spain, especially, that I visited.

Carolyn