View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013   #10
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
I was told to run a strand of electric fence wire about knee high then to move inside that 3 or 4 feet and place another strand about 6 feet high and tie streamers of something like crime scene tape off both. The idea he said was to let the deer see the double fence. While he can jump either, He don't want to be between them and can't jump both.
Seriously, I have a big deer problem here. I have a 6-ft wire mesh fence around my garden, which they jump right over. I installed a 2-strand electric fence 36" outside the mesh fence. They definitely will not jump a double fence.

Another thing that works really well is "Liquid Fence". It supposedly smells like wolf urine. I spray a little around my unfenced beds and they leave them alone. The problem is it needs to be reapplied after a rain, it's expensive, and DON'T SPILL ANY ON YOU. You can't get the smell off your hands or clothes. Be prepared to spend the next four nights on the couch if you get it on you.