Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old December 2, 2015   #6
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

I make kraut a quart at a time. I drilled a hole in a lid slightly smaller than aquarium tubing. Cut the tubing at an angle & pulled it through the hole. Cut flat inside the lid a quarter inch from the lid. The other end of the tube goes in a jug of water. I got this idea from a girl in my class who described her fathers methods for wine making.
I made a masher from an old hoe handle. I put a double hand full of shredded cabbage in the jar, add a half teaspoon of salt & a half teaspoon of caraway seeds. Mash, repeat till jar is full. use the large leaves from the outside of the cabbage on top to hold the shredded stuff down. Add brine to cover but mostly don't have too if there is enough moisture in the cabbage. I also grind part of the core & add to the jar. I've also added garlic cloves, & onions. That was the best kraut.
This is how to make kraut if you can't afford one of those nice crocks with the moat for water around the lid as an air lock.
I let mine ferment for about 3 wks. & then refrigerate & eat at will. Usually make a quart or 2 a month, depending on my mood.
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote