View Single Post
Old October 15, 2018   #73
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoustache View Post
Penstemon 'Firecracker' is a perennial that will give you a similar look to the red salvia.

Pineapple sage is another hummingbird favorite that is a late bloomer. I grow it against a South facing wall because it's not hardy here. That gives me the latest blooms possible. Maybe something to try next year?

Here in Nebraska we grow Husker Red Penstemon as football is huge here. And it re-seeds prolifically but the blooms last only a week or two. I don't mind free plants, but it can take over a bed in a few years.

One of my favorites... I was able to see lovely blooms on my potted pineapple sage, I think it was year before last year I bought one from Bonnie Plants. In another posting, you can see how this lovely plant was completely taken down by spider mites. It seems to really not like the summer droughts we have, even though I kept it well watered. Bought another at the nursery, attracted spider mites in the backyard instead. I would love to have more hummingbird visits! On the try again list, but from seed and maybe indoors or inground!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote