View Single Post
Old January 30, 2023   #3
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Peppers transplant fine; that's how most gardeners do it. I haven't used peat pots, but if you've had good experience with them with tomatoes, they should work fine for peppers.

Pepper transplants need warmer air and soil than tomatoes do, so we always transplant ours 1-2 weeks later than the tomatoes. This is very important, as pepper plants can be permanently set back with poor production or poor health if they are set out when it's too cool. Be sure to harden them off before transplant. Transplanting on a cloudy day is helpful.

I'd avoid transplanting peppers deeper than their soil line. There's not much benefit to planting them deeply, and there is the risk of the stem rotting, especially if it's already kind of hardened (lignified) when you transplant. For leggy seedlings, I just plant them at normal depth and tie them loosely to a stick or small stake for support until they thicken up.

Peppers benefit greatly from staying evenly moist (but not soggy), so mulching is helpful. They are lighter feeders than tomatoes but do need some fertilizer.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote