View Single Post
Old July 8, 2018   #6
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Update on this seedling and another, 7/08/2018:

The outdoor seedling, transplanted while very small with two true leaves, but which then began showing bushy sideways growth with "paddle leaves" rather than regular leaves (Sugar Lump) has now "resolved itself" and is sending forth vigorous new growth with regular leaf type. There are two suckers with strong growth and I think perhaps they should be trimmed; I need to have this plant grow vertically, it's indeterminate but also a tall variety.

The indoor "worm" seedling I referenced in the "Helmet Head" thread (see http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47357), Cornue des Andes, showed its first true leaves as potato leaf type, then following leaves as regular leaf (this is a regular leaf variety).

Both examples seem to tell me that some seedlings under great stress might revert to PL (or a leaf type superficially resembling PL, call it "paddle leaf" rather than "potato leaf" perhaps?) in initial growth stages and then go back to RL as their strength increases and root systems develop.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote