Thread: SeanInVa 2019
View Single Post
Old July 7, 2019   #21
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

Single-stem lean-and-lower experiment is going well. I've got to learn how to tie #9 wire tighter and probably install a middle support post. Wire is tied to ends at 8', and it's sagging to about 5.5' in the middle. These are "Delicious"

This "Delicious" went a little squirrely. If you follow the main stem from the bottom, you see on the right where I plucked a sucker. The on the left, a sucker I've not plucked, and then the main stem. It's got a flower truss, then a stem of another truss that looks like it wants to keep growing, but has another flower truss starting just one branch up. Weird growth.

I grew three Marzano Fire plants. Two of them produced the these longer, more traditional fruits....

While the third produced nothing but these half-size things. Growth pattern of the plants were near identical with this one growing a bit stronger earlier in the season. Also not as attractive to hornworms as the other two. Maybe a bee cross? Seed source is Artisan Seeds.

And the two sizes compared

I cooked these down into a sauce. My first time ever making s'getti sauce. THink i needed to cook the tomatoes down some more. I mixed in some peppers and squash too, and didn't de-seed the tomatoes. A bit salty, and chunky. But, tastes ok. Next time, I think I will just cook the tomatoes down by themselves first. Anyone have any tips?

Last edited by SeanInVa; July 7, 2019 at 02:14 PM.
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote