View Single Post
Old November 29, 2012   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
Interesting project, Dar I wish you the best success.

For those who are hoping this might extend the season in the fall, please be aware that even if the vine could handle 22F, the tomatoes on the vines would be spoiled by a hard freeze.
That's not an issue here. The issue is having 90 degree weather and a cold front comes along and drops the temp to 30-31 degrees just barely for long enough to kill your tomatoes, then the temp climbs back up into the 80's for weeks after. It is a real pain being right on the border of the climate zone between warm all year, but on a flat plain that releases heat so fast and allows a cold wind to chill things almost instantly. The air is typically so dry there is no humidity to hold the heat. Just a degree or two of cold resistance would make a HUGE difference.

The same type of thing happens in spring too. Usually not quite as bad due to spring rains adding moisture but still happens. You could be in shirt sleaves for weeks and even spot the rare bikini top now and then, then here comes the late cold front out of the blue killing everything, then right back to warm weather again.

If I didn't have to worry about the odd cold front, I could easily plant February 1st. As it is now I typically plan on March 1st and cross my fingers. (and have some plastic ready at a moments notice) Most people even wait longer just in case.

Problem is if you wait till it is totally safe you then need worry about the dreaded heat wave in summer that hits just about the exact time your tomatoes should be at their peak setting fruit. Top it all off with fighting the swarms of mice gophers rats squirrels and even insects that don't normally even like green tomatoes, but eat a bite or two out of each one just for the moisture......

So you are basically d'd if you do, and d'd if you don't.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote