Thread: I'm Smoking it
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2019   #136
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
This is my new favorite thread! You take brisket to 212 or just whenever it hits jello stage? I usually say 203 is the number, but, I just heard that from Aaron Franklin, as opposed to having any experience to know that. Also, 212 in the flat or the point?
I set the probe close to where the flat overlaps the point(it's right where the brisket starts getting thicker) and usually 212 is like jello. Don't forget to rest it too. I think Franklin cooks hot and has a long rest period and I'm sure the temp continues to rise. I'm not sure how much it rises but I can tell that if I wrap a cooked brisket in towels and put it in an ice chest it will still be too hot to handle 5 hours later.

Quote:
You cut the thin end off so it didn't get dried out when the thicker part still needed cook time?
I usually cut off the thin part of the flat, it dries out and burns most of the time but I do cook them together for the whole cook.

Quote:
I recently saw a recipe for a smoked chuck roast and it looked amazing. Gonna try that one next I think.
A chuck will be good but the texture is different from a brisket.