Thread: hybrid seeds
View Single Post
Old June 15, 2009   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If I look at the post here:

Quote:
The parents of a commercial hybrid tomato cultivar would have to be TWO stable, open pollinated breeding lines because then you'd have TWO parents whose homozygotous genes will combine in heterozygotous pairs.

Regardless of how many "inputs" there are to the end resulting F1 seed that is marketed, there are still only TWO immediate parents to the final product ... one is the pollen donor and the other is the pollen recipient (seed mother) ... not withstanding reciprocal crosses.

If you were to cross a heterozygotous (F1 hybrid) tomato with a stable, open pollinated tomato, you would NOT get the same identical gene pairing in each extracted seed.
This tells me that

A) My whole example above about Sun Gold being a hybrid of hybrids is a fantasy I created in my head and not really possible or done.

B) All hybrids without exception are A+B crosses of two stable OP lines. Any talk of "multiple parental inputs" is just a mental exercise. It's something which appears on a tomato genealogy chart but is of no relevance to the workers as they are making A+B crosses. So Sun Gold is still your bog standard A+B cross. Now, the origins of A and B are probably very interesting. Crossing currant tomatoes and other tomatoes. Probably backcrossing to get certain characteristics.

But the ABCD thing? Sorry folks, it doesn't exist.

I knew there was a reason I didn't post in Crosstalk.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote