Thread: A Cajun Cooks
View Single Post
Old July 7, 2019   #106
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Cajun Style Chicken Stew

It's comfort food I grew up eating. I made a video you can see here.

Here's the recipe, the corn recipe is in the video.
Chicken Stew, aka Fricassee
FYI, chicken stew and fricassee is the same thing except you cook the chicken for fricassee vs adding raw chicken for chicken stew.
Ingredients:
Chicken: 3-5lbs. It’s usually a whole Hen cut up but can be made with fryers. Hens and roosters are older and the meat won’t fall off the bone like a fryer so be aware of the cooking time.
Veggies: All diced.
½ red and green bell pepper
1 large onion
2 stalks of celery
2 cloves of garlic, use more if you like garlic.
2 bunches of scallions, use the white part for cooking and the tops for garnish.
Roux:
1 cup of flour
¾ cup of oil, I use canola

I box of chicken broth, 32 oz Swansons
2 cups of water to add after it cooks down.
2 TBS plus 1 TSP of Cajun seasoning, pick your favorite but Tony’s is available everywhere and works good.

Instructions:
Season the chicken with 2 TBS of Cajun seasoning and bake it for 35 minutes at 400°
Start on the roux and make it as dark as you like or cheat and use Savoies dark roux.
Add the veggies when the roux is the color you want and sauté till translucent.
Add the broth a little at a time while stirring till it’s all mixed into a beautiful gravy. Season with 1 TSP of Cajun seasoning and cook at a low boil till it reduces by 25%, usually about 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of water, bring back to a high simmer and add the baked chicken. This is the time to add diced potatoes and boiled eggs if you wish, it’s common and both bring flavor especially the eggs with that savory gravy.
Cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender to your liking.
Serve over rice with your favorite side but I always cook corn as a side. Check the video for a kicked up corn recipe.