View Single Post
Old October 28, 2009   #14
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Camo, Can you tell me about Shannon's South African Mystery Black?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg,
I received seed from Shannon in South Africa. She had posted pictures in her album at idig of a young boy holding this gigantic black tomato that was grown from a "Green Zebra" packet of seeds. I just had to try this tomato and I requested some seed from her and offered her some Cowlick seed in return.
I grew about a half dozen plants of this mystery black, and at first wasn't sure any would make it as they were fairly thin and wispy plants, but they eventually took off and produced fairly large tomatoes that went through some strange color variations before they finally got that dark maroon color that we've come to know.
Most of mine ranged from 10 1/2 oz. to 18 oz. with the average being around 14 1/4-15oz. They had a somewhat thicker skin than I prefer and a larger core than many of my favorites. The seeds were much larger than many tomatoes. They have a very meaty center with an almost winey taste. A very tasty tomato with dense meat yet juicy. A great slicer...good sandwich tomato.
Upon checking my notes, I see I have some listed with thick skin and a few with thin skin, yet they all peel well. Ranked it at #13 out of 77 varieties grown this year, coming in just ahead of Brandywine -Glicks, which was a great tomato but not as plentiful. I liked them and will grow them again in the future.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote