View Single Post
Old July 31, 2013   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Hi Brokenbar, many thanks again first of all for your generous tomato seed offer last year (or was it late 2011?).
You are mentioning the Donkey's Ear peppers but in the link to the blog on that fabulous sauce, it says Elephant's Ear--so are they one and the same?
This is the type of pepper I should grow, not that thin scrawny Carmen I wasted my energy on this year (see my posting in the peppers section). I wanted a big sweet juicy-skinned type, so this posting of yours confirmed that varieties from that part of Europe has the best. But will they grow well in my zone 10, So. CA, sort of coastal? The only ones I've had success with are the Anaheim, or Numex, types. Seeing that you grew these in Mexico gives me hope.
I enjoyed your post and the blog too, thanks!
It is called both which gets confusing...I am Gulf coastal Mexico and so zone should be similar. These were big plants but the peppers just weighed them down. I used those worthless tomato cages on some and they actually did a great job which they never did with my 7 foot tall tomatoes! The Donkey ears are grown all over the Mediterranean apparently so they should do well for you. The blog with the method of canning just cracked me up...I would kill my family I am sure! They don't can much in Mexico. i was showing my neighbor how to make sour pickles (fermented) and I ended up with a crowd...they love them but add peppers and their pickles are mucho caliente! They mostly dry everything and they salt a lot of the fish they catch.

Last edited by brokenbar; July 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote